• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patti

patti

Oh! Where do I begin on this topic?! I’ll start with something good. We have both retired this year during the pandemic. A few months ago he decided that one of his retirement duties is to clean the kitchen every night! Yay! I don’t even mention the things I later rewash because he isn’t thorough enough. It’s worth it to remain silent. 

In 2009 my husband’s employer told him that if he wanted his job, it was now going to be in Houston. He wanted his job. He got an apartment in Houston and drove home on the week-ends. This lasted a year before he told the company he had another job offer and was moving back home. They suddenly decided he could do his job from home, if he was willing to go back for occasional meetings and things. He was. 

While in Houston, he’d been cooking for himself, probably more often than I was cooking at home, but then he’d always cooked some. On his return, he started telling me how I should cook things.  The most infuriating was when he’d start with, “Rachel Ray says,” or “Rachel Ray does...” (He was watching way too much Food Network!) UGH. If I bought a roast for Sunday dinner, I would be so annoyed when I’d walk into the kitchen and he’d already started cooking it. My roast is better! One day we actually did dueling pot roasts. The winner was our son, who took massive leftovers home with him. 

There will be more to come. 

patti

patti

Oh! Where do I begin on this topic?! I’ll start with something good. We have both retired this year during the pandemic. A few months ago he decided that one of his retirement duties is to clean the kitchen every night! Yay! I don’t even mention the things I later rewash because he isn’t thorough enough. It’s worth it to remain silent. 

In 2009 my husband’s employer told him that if he wanted his job, it was now going to be in Houston. He wanted his job. He got an apartment in Houston and drove home on the week-ends. This lasted a year before he told the company he had another job offer and was moving back home. They suddenly decided he could do his job from home, if he was willing to go back for occasional meetings and things. He was. 

While in Houston, he’d been cooking for himself, probably more often than I was cooking at home, but then he’d always cooked some. On his return, he started telling me how I should cook things.  The most infuriating was when he’d start with, “Rachel Ray says,” or “Rachel Ray does...” (He was watching way too much Food Network!) UGH. If I bought a roast for Sunday dinner, I would be so annoyed when I’d walk into the kitchen and he’d already started cooking it. My roast is better! One day we actually did battling pot roasts. The winner was our son, who took massive leftovers home with him. 

patti

patti

Oh! Where do I begin on this topic?! I’ll start with something good. We have both retired this year during the pandemic. A few months ago he decided that he one of his retirement duties is to clean the kitchen every night! Yay! I don’t even mention the things I later rewash because he isn’t thorough enough. It’s worth it to remain silent. 

While in Houston, he’d been cooking for himself, probably more often than I was cooking at home, but then he’d always cooked some. On his return, he started telling me how I should cook things.  The most infuriating was when he’d start with, “Rachel Ray says,” or “Rachel Ray does...” (He was watching way too much Food Network!) UGH. If I bought a roast for Sunday dinner, I would be so annoyed when I’d walk into the kitchen and he’d already started cooking it. My roast is better! One day we actually did battling pot roasts. The winner was our son, who took massive leftovers home with him.