• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I commented the other day that I was quite capable of putting all sorts of things on toast without needing a recipe and scoffed when I saw the toast chapter in Diana Henry's book, Simple.  I had to eat my words (on toast, of course 🙃) because I ended up quite enjoying her ideas.  Then someone asked me if I had Prue Leith's Bliss on Toast (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  A whole book on toast?  NO!  I don't need that!  And yet, now I have it!   

There are 75 recipes in the categories of Cheese & Eggs, Vegetarian & Vegan, Fish, Meat & Poultry and Desserts.  Some interesting, some not so much.  Some are actually toasted sandwiches and others don't really need to be on toast at all.  But still, plenty of ideas I wouldn't have come up with on my own and am curious to try. For example:

Fried chicken livers and grapes on mustardy focaccia

Camembert & blackberries with chili sauce on rye

Anchovy toast sticks with pickled pear

Duck egg with rainbow chard and Dijon butter on multigrain toast

Stay tuned, those and more are likely coming to a Breakfast topic near you!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I commented the other day that I was quite capable of putting all sorts of things on toast without needing a recipe and scoffed when I saw the toast chapter in Diana Henry's book, Simple.  I had to eat my words (on toast, of course 🙃) because I ended up quite enjoying her ideas.  Then someone asked me if I had Prue Leith's Bliss on Toast (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  A whole book on toast?  NO!  I don't need that!  And yet, now I have it!   

There are 75 recipes in the categories of Cheese & Eggs, Vegetarian & Vegan, Fish, Meat & Poultry and Desserts.  Some interesting, some not so much.  Some are actually toasted sandwiches and others don't really need to be on toast at all.  But still, plenty of ideas I wouldn't have come up with on my own and am curious to try. For example:

Fried chicken livers and grapes on mustardy focaccia

Camembert & blackberries with chili sauce on rye

Anchovy toast sticks with pickled pear

Stay tuned, those and more are likely coming to a Breakfast topic near you!