• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CeeCee

CeeCee

Love eggs and am almost never without any. Mostly hard boil them in batches, as I'm not a fan of runny yolks and absolutely despise whites that are too jiggly for my taste. After boiling, I keep them in my fridge. I like them with mayonaise, especially kewpie. Either as a snack, in a soup or curry, or sliced up in a sandwich. My regular bread is sliced whole wheat, but for nostalgic reasons I will use a soft whole wheat bun with a Dutch style mayo (which is sweeter). Another variation is the Dutch broodje gezond, meaning healthy sandwich. This is a combination of gouda style cheese, ham, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and egg. I leave out the ham and don't use any butter, because I prefer the sweeter mayonaise instead. If you decide to order this in a Dutch snackbar, please beware of the difference between mayonaise and fritessaus. Fritessauce is a sort of diet version of mayonaise, which I don't recommend. You're already ordering non-fried stuff in a snackbar, don't skimp on that mayonaise too!

Second comes the fried egg. Either sunny with cooked yolk or as something that I refer to as an omelet, but is probably cooked to death too much to please a French person. This ends up as a sandwich or is served next to fried rice. I keep forgetting I can fry the egg with the rice most of the time. Sometimes the omelet gets a masala treatment. My SO likes to incorporate cheese.

Third is every now and then, the Spanish tortilla. You probably guessed it, no runny center here. Also because I like to bring it as lunch for outings like picknicks on hot days.

Oh and almost as much, scrambled eggs. These are almost exclusively for making egg and chive dumplings.

My SO just made wentelteefjes, which literally translates as turning bitches. You might now it as pain perdu or French toast. It's one of his favourite things. Me, not so much. But I'm not complaining, especially not when he uses special bread to make it and doesn't make them too eggy. Friesian sugarbread, stewed pears and cinnamon ice cream make a nice combo. This Easter he found a stollen with almond paste, amarena cherries and hazelnuts at Lidl. There was a ricotta and pear ice cream from Lidl's Italian week lurking in the freezer. Not bad 😄

Edit: I forget to mention memories of painting eggs for Easter in my oma's kitchen. There was also a time when we painted the eggs at school and blew the contents out of a little hole in the shell. This hung in the kitchen for ages. I should check if it's still there.

CeeCee

CeeCee

Love eggs and am almost never without any. Mostly hard boil them in batches, as I'm not a fan of runny yolks and absolutely despise whites that are too jiggly for my taste. After boiling, I keep them in my fridge. I like them with mayonaise, especially kewpie. Either as a snack, in a soup or curry, or sliced up in a sandwich. My regular bread is sliced whole wheat, but for nostalgic reasons I will use a soft whole wheat bun with a Dutch style mayo (which is sweeter). Another variation is the Dutch broodje gezond, meaning healthy sandwich. This is a combination of gouda style cheese, ham, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and egg. I leave out the ham and don't use any butter, because I prefer the sweeter mayonaise instead. If you decide to order this in a Dutch snackbar, please beware of the difference between mayonaise and fritessaus. Fritessauce is a sort of diet version of mayonaise, which I don't recommend. You're already ordering non-fried stuff in a snackbar, don't skimp on that mayonaise too!

Second comes the fried egg. Either sunny with cooked yolk or as something that I refer to as an omelet, but is probably cooked to death too much to please a French person. This ends up as a sandwich or is served next to fried rice. I keep forgetting I can fry the egg with the rice most of the time. Sometimes the omelet gets a masala treatment. My SO likes to incorporate cheese.

Third is every now and then, the Spanish tortilla. You probably guessed it, no runny center here. Also because I like to bring it as lunch for outings like picknicks on hot days.

Oh and almost as much, scrambled eggs. These are almost exclusively for making egg and chive dumplings.

My SO just made wentelteefjes, which literally translates as turning bitches. You might now it as pain perdu or French toast. It's one of his favourite things. Me, not so much. But I'm not complaining, especially not when he uses special bread to make it and doesn't make them too eggy. Friesian sugarbread, stewed pears and cinnamon ice cream make a nice combo. This Easter he found a stollen with almond paste, amarena cherries and hazelnuts at Lidl. There was a ricotta and pear ice cream from Lidl's Italian week lurking in the freezer. Not bad 😄