• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Franci the tuna is beautiful.  May I ask how you cook your tuna, and how much you cook it?  When I grill tuna it is usually more rare than I enjoy, or else unappetizing and dried out.  Sometimes both.

Thank you, @JoNorvelleWalker. For my experience, the cooking it’s important but not as much as people think. It’s the tuna that makes the difference. This was freshly caught, more often we get the black fin than yellow fin because it’s more common...huge difference. And I’ve cooked my share of previously frozen tuna from supermarket...for some, no matter how careful I was with the cooking the result was mediocre. Some were better than others, you realize when you defrost 3 pieces and cook exactly at the same time and depending on the where in the fillet the particular piece come from or just comes from a different fish and the result is quite different. This yellow fin, I might give different cooking times to some  of the steaks, to make everyone happy at the table but still comes out juicy and not dry even when not super rare. So, my advice is look for a place where you consistently had better results. Frozen fish from Costco in my experience always better the Wholefoods for example. 

Franci

Franci

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Franci the tuna is beautiful.  May I ask how you cook your tuna, and how much you cook it?  When I grill tuna it is usually more rare than I enjoy, or else unappetizing and dried out.  Sometimes both.

Thank you, @JoNorvelleWalker. For my experience, the cooking it’s important but not as much as people think. It’s the tuna that makes the difference. This was freshly caught, more often we get the black fin than yellow fin because it’s more common...huge difference. And I’ve cooked my share of previously frozen tuna from supermarket...for some, no matter how careful I was with the cooking the result was mediocre. Some were better then others, you realize when you defrost 3 pieces and cook exactly at the same time and depending on the where in the fillet the particular piece come from or just comes from a different fish and the result is quite different. This yellow fin, I might give different cooking times to some  of the steaks, to make everyone happy at the table but still comes out juicy and not dry even when not super rare. So, my advice is look for a place where you consistently had better results. Frozen fish from Costco in my experience always better the Wholefoods for example.