• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

anf watt id tis ?

nnnnn.thumb.jpg.9092ba9ebbb3aa994fad5d92aebff442.jpg

This is Fleischsalat (literally “meat salad”). Recipe see below ...

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I already know what it is but I would like to know how to make it. I looked up a recipe on the internet and they said if I couldn't get the German ingredients, forget it. Do you think it would be possible to get a good flavor with local ingredients? And would you share a recipe?

Absolutely. I think every butcher in Germany has his own slight tweak on the recipe, but it is very simple and I made it here, in HK, in Japan, in Spain. It will turn out always a bit different, but delicious anyway. And for my German version I use Japanese mayo, so ...

Fleischsalat (all in weight%):

50% emulsified sausage (here, a product called “Lyoner” is used, which is derived from Italian Mortadella. The latter is fine, and Bologna (Polony) is perfectly acceptable. You want something soft, processed, with a high flavor factor).

25% pickled cucumbers (not the sweet pickle variety. Cornichons are great. The pickles bring acidity and flavor, so you can tune your salad with this).

25% mayo (full fat, no Miracle Whip. Use the one you like best - I use Kewpie).

Get the sausage in thin slices, stack them and cut into fine threads. Cut the pickles into the same shape. Squeeze your pickle threads by hand to remove excess moisture (reserve the liquid). Add sausage and sqeezed pickles to the mayo and give it an good stir. Let it mingle for some hours in the fridge.

Enjoy !

Options to fine tune (pick 0 to all, experiment!): finely cut herbs (parsley, dill, ...). A tiny bit of mustard (sweet or sharp). A bit of reserved pickling liquid (or vinegar of your choice) to add acidity. A dash of fish sauce (yes. Umami). A finely smashed hard boiled egg yolk (for a tiny bit stiffer consistency). There is no added salt in the recipe, but feel free to augment here as well ...

Duvel

Duvel

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

anf watt id tis ?

nnnnn.thumb.jpg.9092ba9ebbb3aa994fad5d92aebff442.jpg

This is Fleischsalad (literally “meat salat”). Recipe see below ...

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I already know what it is but I would like to know how to make it. I looked up a recipe on the internet and they said if I couldn't get the German ingredients, forget it. Do you think it would be possible to get a good flavor with local ingredients? And would you share a recipe?

Absolutely. I think every butcher in Germany has his own slight tweak on the recipe, but it is very simple and I made it here, in HK, in Japan, in Spain. It will turn out always a bit different, but delishes anyway. And for my German version I use Japanese mayo, so ...

Fleischsalat (all in weight%):

50% emulsified sausage (here, a product called “Lyoner” is used, which is derived from Italian Mortadella. The latter is fine, and Bologna (Polony) is perfectly acceptable. You want something soft, processed, with a high flavor factor).

25% pickled cucumbers (not the sweet pickle variety. Cornichons are great. The pickles bring acidity and flavor, so you can tune your salad with this).

25% mayo (full fat, no Miracle Whip. Use the one you like best - I use Kewpie).

Get the sausage in thin slices, stack them and cut into fine threads. Cut the pickles into the same shape. Squeeze your pickle threads by hand to remove excess moisture (reserve the liquid). Add sausage and sqeezed pickles to the mayo and give it an good stir. Let it mingle for some hours in the fridge.

Enjoy !

Options to fine tune (pick 0 to all, experiment!): finely cut herbs (parsley, dill, ...). A tiny bit of mustard (sweet or sharp). A bit of reserved pickling liquid (or vinegar of your choice) to add acidity. A dash of fish sauce (yes. Umami). A finely smashed hard boiled egg yolk (for a tiny bit stiffer consistency). There is no added salt in the recipe, but feel free to augment here as well ...