• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Punctuation

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Schwartenwurst, aged Kopfwurst, fresh Schwartenwurst

Oh boy, does that bring back memories! German sausage is something that I really missed because it is non-existent in Costa Rica. The area where I grew up was predominantly German and we had the best sausage maker in the state. Oscar was kind of a character and a jack of all trades. He was the town plumber and fixed all the windmills in the area. Whenever any of the farms had anything to butcher, they called Oscar. He was often at our farm but we were never allowed to go anywhere near him. He talked to himself constantly and used a few words that our mother did not want us to add to our vocabulary. He did have a shop in town where he made and repaired harnesses and repaired shoes. It was also where he made sausage and he had a Smokehouse in back. There were always lots of sausages hanging from the ceiling of the shop. I can never smell fresh leather without associating it with the smell of German sausage and I sure do miss it.

My favorite thing of all was a fresh, raw liver sausage that was made into patties and fried for breakfast. I've never seen it anywhere since and I've tried to duplicate it for years. I've never even come close. Some of your posts are sheer torture for me, but I look forward to all of them.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

58 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Oh boy, does that bring back memories! German sausage is something that I really missed because it is non-existent in Costa Rica. The area where I grew up was predominantly German and we had the best sausage maker in the state. Oscar was kind of a character and a jack of all trades. He was the town plumber and fixed all the windmills in the area. Whenever any of the farms had anything to butcher, they called Oscar. He was often at our farm but we were never allowed to go anywhere near him. He talked to himself constantly and used a few words that our mother did not want us to add to our vocabulary. He did have a shop in town where he made and repaired harnesses and repaired shoes. It was also where he made sausage and he had a Smokehouse in back. There were always lots of sausages hanging from the ceiling of the shop. I can never smell fit fresh leather without associating it with the smell of German sausage and I sure do miss it.

My favorite thing of all was a fresh, raw liver sausage that was made into patties and fried for breakfast. I've never seen it anywhere since and I've tried to duplicate it for years. I've never even come close. Some of your posts are sheer torture for me, but I look forward to all of them.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

53 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Oh boy, does that bring back memories! German sausage is something that I really missed because it is non-existent in Costa Rica. The area where I grew up was predominantly German and we had the best sausage maker in the state. Oscar was kind of a character and a jack of all trades. He was the town plumber and fixed all the windmills in the area. Whenever any of the farms had anything to butcher, they called Oscar. He was often at our farm but we were never allowed to go anywhere near him. He talked to himself constantly and used a few words that our mother did not want us to add to our vocabulary. He did have a shop in town where he made and repaired harnesses and repaired shoes. It was also where he made sausage and he had a Smokehouse in back. There were always lots of sausages hanging from the ceiling of the shop. I can never smell fit fresh leather without associating it with the smell of German sausage and I sure do miss it.

My favorite thing of all was a fresh, raw liver sausage that was made into patties and fried for breakfast. I've never seen it anywhere since and I've tried to duplicate it for years and I've never even come close. Some of your posts are sheer torture for me.