• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

23 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Would it though.. are you sure?

Pretty sure, yes.  Do we agree that the first dip is white chocolate?  Sugar cooked to caramel is around 325F.  You could let it cool a little and still be runny, let's say you get it down to 250F.  White chocolate melts around 100F.  If you froze the apples to buy time, you'd cool the sugar every time you dipped and cause crystallization, it would be impractical for production.  The cooler the caramel is, the thicker the shell and this looks very thin.  i just don't think the sugar would stay liquid with repeated heating, cooling, and agitation and I don't think white chocolate would stand up to even a thin coat at 250-300F.  I think the white chocolate shell is what's cracking.  I don't have any sugar, otherwise I'd make some caramel and see what happens to white chocolate :)

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

3 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Would it though.. are you sure?

Pretty sure, yes.  Do we agree that the first dip is white chocolate?  Sugar cooked to caramel is around 325F.  You could let it cool a little and still be runny, let's say you get it down to 250F.  White chocolate melts around 100F.  If you froze the apples to buy time, you'd cool the sugar every time you dipped and cause crystallization, it would be impractical for production.  The cooler the caramel is, the thicker the shell and this looks very thin.  i just don't think the sugar would stay liquid with repeated heating, cooling, and agitation and I don't think white chocolate would stand up to even a thin coat at 250F.  I think the white chocolate shell is what's cracking.  I don't have any sugar, otherwise I'd make some caramel and see what happens to white chocolate :)