• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

My late mother, whom some of you "know", was very prim and proper. She hated anyone cursing or swearing, to the extent that I grew up believing that saying "bloody" or "drat" or "besooks" would result in immediate death and anything stronger would instantly destroy the universe at the very moment of utterance. Big Bang Two - The Sequel. Bodily functions didn't exist for her, or at least were beyond unmentionable. Sex was a myth promoted by communist bandits out to destroy interplanetary balance and therefore even more unmentionable.

But, at the same time, she absolutely loved Billy Connolly despite his apparent inability to get through a sentence without dropping an f-bomb or getting scatalogical.  I never mentioned to her that I knew Billy personally, though we were never close friends. But my brother "accidentally" told her.  I expected to be told never to darken her doorstep again, but she just complained that I had never brought him home for tea!

I remember sitting with her later, watching a video of a live show. She had tears of laughter running down her face and at one point said "Pause it! I'm going to pee myself!" I was never so shocked in my life! Like the Queen, my mother never had any need for micturation or worse. She didn't even eat peas in case anyone misunderstood!

Anyway, this is the segment of the video she was watching when she got the urge for going and wanted the video paused.

I may have posted it before, but I'm happily posting it again in her memory. Miss you Mum!

liuzhou

liuzhou

My late mother, whom some of you "know",  was very prim and proper. She hated anyone cursing or swearing, to the extent that I grew up believing that saying "bloody" or "drat" or "besooks" would result in immediate death and anything stronger would immediately destroy the universe at the very moment of utterance. Big Bang Two - The Sequel. Bodily functions didn't exist for her, or at least were beyond unmentionable. Sex was a myth promoted by communist bandits out to destroy interplanetary balance and therefore totally unmentionable.

But, at the same time, she absolutely loved Billy Connolly despite his apparant inability to get through a sentence without dropping an f-bomb or getting scatalogical.  I never mentioned to her that I knew Billy personally, though we were never close friends. But my brother "accidentally" told her.  I expected to be told never to darken her door again, but she just complained that I had never brought him home for tea!

I remember sitting with her, watching a video of a live show. She had tears of laughter running down her face and at one point said "Pause it! I'm going to pee myself!" I was never so shocked in my life! Like the Queen, my mother never had any need for micturation or worse. She didn't even eat peas in case anyone misunderstood!

Anyway, this is the segment of the video she was watching when she got the urge for going and wanted the video paused.

I may have posted it before, but I'm happily posting it again in her memory. Miss you Mum!