• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 1/11/2021 at 10:01 AM, Shelby said:

LGD and Herbdacious have become condiments like ketchup and mustard for us.

Ditto that!  I recently used Herbdacious to make a batch of the Chef Mix.  Then used what was left to make some garlic bread and a small batch of croutons.  I've still got a little log of Herbdacious butter in the freezer that's handy to slice off to put on vegetables. 

For the mix, I used Wheat Chex, Cheese-Its, pecans, small pretzel twists, pita chips and a few different kinds of crackers.  Couldn't find bagel chips or the Gardettos rye things that @Shelby recommended and didn't feel like buying saltines for just a few crackers.  All good except the pita chips kind of shattered into tiny bits when I tried to break them up. The pretzels and several of the crackers were gluten-free so I'm sure an all gluten-free version could be done.  

IMG_3488.thumb.jpeg.e93cc6b52a6c52ad26f0a6d1010675f0.jpeg

That's the Chef Mix on the left and V's Nuts on the right.  I used pecans from Trader Joe's in the Chef Mix and the big plump Georgia pecans I received as a gift in V's Nuts.  Note the difference in size!

V's Nuts are similar to the spiced pecans called Viv's Addiction in Deep Run Roots but they use a different mixture of spices.  Both are very good.  I really like the method in @JAZ's Sweet & Spicy Walnuts which doesn't use an egg white coating so I may try subbing Vivian's seasoning mixture into that recipe to compare.  

With V's Nuts made, I'm ready to try the butternut squash that @curls posted about above.  It sounds really good and it will probably taste really good once our temperatures fall back down.  

Yesterday, I made a batch of Community Organizer.   I water bath-processed 3 pints and put the rest into the fridge.  I was going to wait on this until summer but Aldi had a special on bell peppers and they looked pretty nice so I decided to give it a go. 

IMG_3484.thumb.jpeg.cc773aa184055f4bf24f7a532c8fe3e5.jpeg

Peeling 20 tomatoes then dicing them, along with 8 bell peppers, 3 onions and slicing 10 cloves of garlic felt like a lot of chopping!

At first taste, it seems a little on the sweet side but I'll reserve judgement until I use it in more things.  I used Roma tomatoes from Aldi, not the most flavorful things, so I went with called for amount of brown sugar.  Vivian says to remember that this is used as a condiment so you're not using a ton of it so we'll see.  

For breakfast, I used the Community Organizer in the Egg in a Cup in a Microwave which tasted very good but looked kinda like a mug of barf.  I will spare you the photo.  Since I do not eat in my car (unwise with a manual transmission and unnecessary since I have no where to go these days), I do not need my eggs in a cup and with my feeble microwave, it would be quicker to just scramble everything together in a pan.  Or scramble the eggs & cheese and put this stuff on the side.  Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.  It is good with eggs.  Edited to add that this would be a great addition if you are making those sous vide Starbucks knock-off egg cups or anything similar. 

I also used it in a pot of the Organized Peas (or Beans) using Rancho Gordo's black eyed peas and I must say that stuff adds a ton of flavor to them.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 1/11/2021 at 10:01 AM, Shelby said:

LGD and Herbdacious have become condiments like ketchup and mustard for us.

Ditto that!  I recently used Herbdacious to make a batch of the Chef Mix.  Then used what was left to make some garlic bread and a small batch of croutons.  I've still got a little log of Herbdacious butter in the freezer that's handy to slice off to put on vegetables. 

For the mix, I used Wheat Chex, Cheese-Its, pecans, small pretzel twists, pita chips and a few different kinds of crackers.  Couldn't find bagel chips or the Gardettos rye things that @Shelby recommended and didn't feel like buying saltines for just a few crackers.  All good except the pita chips kind of shattered into tiny bits when I tried to break them up. The pretzels and several of the crackers were gluten-free so I'm sure an all gluten-free version could be done.  

IMG_3488.thumb.jpeg.e93cc6b52a6c52ad26f0a6d1010675f0.jpeg

That's the Chef Mix on the left and V's Nuts on the right.  I used pecans from Trader Joe's in the Chef Mix and the big plump Georgia pecans I received as a gift in V's Nuts.  Note the difference in size!

V's Nuts are similar to the spiced pecans called Viv's Addiction in Deep Run Roots but they use a different mixture of spices.  Both are very good.  I really like the method in @JAZ's Sweet & Spicy Walnuts which doesn't use an egg white coating so I may try subbing Vivian's seasoning mixture into that recipe to compare.  

With V's Nuts made, I'm ready to try the butternut squash that @curls posted about above.  It sounds really good and it will probably taste really good once our temperatures fall back down.  

Yesterday, I made a batch of Community Organizer.   I water bath-processed 3 pints and put the rest into the fridge.  I was going to wait on this until summer but Aldi had a special on bell peppers and they looked pretty nice so I decided to give it a go. 

IMG_3484.thumb.jpeg.cc773aa184055f4bf24f7a532c8fe3e5.jpeg

Peeling 20 tomatoes then dicing them, along with 8 bell peppers, 3 onions and slicing 10 cloves of garlic felt like a lot of chopping!

At first taste, it seems a little on the sweet side but I'll reserve judgement until I use it in more things.  I used Roma tomatoes from Aldi, not the most flavorful things, so I went with called for amount of brown sugar.  Vivian says to remember that this is used as a condiment so you're not using a ton of it so we'll see.  

For breakfast, I used the Community Organizer in the Egg in a Cup in a Microwave which tasted very good but looked kinda like a mug of barf.  I will spare you the photo.  Since I do not eat in my car (unwise with a manual transmission and unnecessary since I have no where to go these days), I do not need my eggs in a cup and with my feeble microwave, it would be quicker to just scramble everything together in a pan.  Or scramble the eggs & cheese and put this stuff on the side.  Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.  It is good with eggs.

I also used it in a pot of the Organized Peas (or Beans) using Rancho Gordo's black eyed peas and I must say that stuff adds a ton of flavor to them.