• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peaberry type coffee beans

eugenep

peaberry coffee bean: when a coffee cherry fruit produces one bean instead of 2. This is supposed to result in more concentrated flavor supposedly. 

I read online that its just nothing but marketing hype but some bloggers say it does make a difference. 

I tried some from Invalsa today after roasting at https://invalsacoffee.com/collections/bolivia/products/bol-peaberry

It does taste very good but a lot of high grade beans, AAA, 87+ points etc. taste good also from Invalsa. 

The price is the same for high grade beans so I thought it is worth a try. 

Available at $9.99 lb with free shipping if you are interested in the link. 

I hope this supplier survives the Covid-19 recession because their products are great. 

• Like 1

Just now, weinoo said:

Also allegedly more caffeinated?

I read more on google that high quality beans should be less caffeinated - which is ironic since many drink coffee for the caffeine (and not always the taste). 

The lower grade robusta has more caffeine than higher quality arabica generally. I guess the "coffee judger-people?" thinks the caffeine should be more mellow - resulting in a better drinking experience? 

Due to the limited market of the peaberry beans, we have only a few studies about the caffeine content. One of them published in the book “Caffeine and Activation Theory: Effects on Health and Behavior” by Barry D. Smith, Uma Gupta, B.S. Gupta. And it is stated that Tanzania Peaberry has 13.6% higher in caffeine than average arabica coffee beans

From...

https://www.rockaffe.com/what-is-peaberry-coffee-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...

I’m just about done with a bag of a Burundian peaberry by my favorite NYC roaster. It’s good coffee—not my favorite flavor profile, but I’m not sure this has anything to do with it being a peaberry. It tastes to me like a washed East African bean that has some peach a melon notes. The guy who roasted it says cherry and honeysuckle, and he’s got a much better palate than I do. 

are peaberries known for any distinctive characteristics?

Notes from the underbelly

I went to SweetMaria's

as in the past I think they had an article about peaberries

but I couldn't find it

Google got me a lot

then this ;

https://perfectdailygrind.com/2020/03/what-are-peaberry-coffee-beans-the-myths-the-reality/

this is more or less how I remember it from SM

of note :   there is not ' peaberry ' strain .

peaberry beans are had selected from the same group of plants

so an individual plant might have some peaberries and mostly regular beans

My guess ; identical roasting of both types of beans would give you 

a very similar cup.   it is alleged peaberry is sweeter than its regular bean neighboor

but id say a lot of marketing is involed

and the price increase for peaberry ( from a good supplier or not )

reflects increased labor costs.

all if you roast ( from the same plants ) both types of beans together

the peaberry will not roast the same as the regular bean when roasting together

peaberry is significantly denser.