• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

2 hours ago, donk79 said:

Cured, I believe.  But I really know nothing about the production process.  All I can say is what I observe of the product.  It is definitely dry and salty.  If you are not familiar with chipped beef, it is sliced very thinly.  It is a dried beef product that I suspect originally included salt as preservative.  Though as I note above, we receive ours sealed and frozen.

We call it dried beef in the east coast. Chipped can be referred to very thinly sliced beef for making cheese steaks. Term being the slices are so thin they looked chipped.

Like others have said, a quick soak (15 min should do it) Then pat dry in paper towels to get all the excess water out. Then prepare as usual.

FeChef

FeChef

2 hours ago, donk79 said:

Cured, I believe.  But I really know nothing about the production process.  All I can say is what I observe of the product.  It is definitely dry and salty.  If you are not familiar with chipped beef, it is sliced very thinly.  It is a dried beef product that I suspect originally included salt as preservative.  Though as I note above, we receive ours sealed and frozen.

We call it dried beef in the east coast. Chipped can be referred to very thinly sliced beef for making cheese steaks. Term being the slices are so thin they looked chipped.