• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 7/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Jalapenos are not my favorite pepper.  I don't want to use them in my salsa nor eat them raw.  Any suggestions what to do with a bag of jalapenos?

A halved jalapeño isn't a bad addition when cooking a pot of dried beans -- adds an aromatic note. Would work just as well with a previously frozen pepper, since you take it out at the end anyway.

I think a lot of the non-traditional things I use jalapeños for (shredded in slaw, or mixed into herby salad dressings) might not translate for someone who doesn't like them, but I'm not entirely sure. In general I find that the grassiness of the pepper pairs well with herbs.

dtremit

dtremit

On 7/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Jalapenos are not my favorite pepper.  I don't want to use them in my salsa nor eat them raw.  Any suggestions what to do with a bag of jalapenos?

A halved jalapeño isn't a bad addition when cooking a pot of dried beans -- makes for a nice aromatic addition. Would work just as well with a previously frozen pepper, since you take it out at the end anyway.

I think a lot of the non-traditional things I use jalapeños for (shredded in slaw, or mixed into herby salad dressings) might not translate for someone who doesn't like them, but I'm not entirely sure. In general I find that the grassiness of the pepper pairs well with herbs.