• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, ambra said:

We drank Italian Pinot Noir.

I quite like Pinto Nero!

After all those pretty, picturesque meals, lemme see if I can gross anyone out...

182094726_Donabericewithsalmonandhalibut11-27.thumb.jpeg.8773382fe872bdf791f3381be61ff9f6.jpeg

The donabe was feeling left out, what with the new rice cooker. But it cooks rice in a quite different style - as pictured - and you may even end up with a little socarrat, which I'm sure is called something fancy in Japanese. So - Japanese short-grain, cooked in dashi, sake, soy and sesame oil, with ginger, scallions and soaked hijiki. The rice cooks in the donabe for around 13-15 minutes, after which it rests for 20, then gets "fluffed."  I had salted the wild salmon and halibut pieces (via the freezer, via Great-Alaska, as I really am trying to work through the freezer) a couple of hours in advance, and placed them atop the cooked rice before its resting period. No more heat added (but fresh herbs were) - they were cooked very nicely this way.

Alongside - avert your eyes now!

647526329_Cucumbersaladavotomsalad11-27.thumb.jpeg.f97d75f7025e14ae7bfc3c63fef023f2.jpeg

Cucumber salad. Avocado tomato thing. Both seasoned in a Japanese sorta way.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, ambra said:

We drank Italian Pinot Noir.

I quite like Pinto Nero!

182094726_Donabericewithsalmonandhalibut11-27.thumb.jpeg.8773382fe872bdf791f3381be61ff9f6.jpeg

After all those pretty, picturesque meals, lemme see if I can gross anyone out...

The donabe was feeling left out, what with the new rice cooker. But it cooks rice in a quite different style - as pictured - and you may even end up with a little socarrat, which I'm sure is called something fancy in Japanese. So - Japanese short-grain, cooked in dashi, sake, soy and sesame oil, with ginger, scallions and soaked hijiki. The rice cooks in the donabe for around 13-15 minutes, after which it rests for 20, then gets "fluffed."  I had salted the wild salmon and halibut pieces (via the freezer, via Great-Alaska, as I really am trying to work through the freezer) a couple of hours in advance, and placed them atop the cooked rice before its resting period. No more heat added (but fresh herbs were) - they were cooked very nicely this way.

Alongside - avert your eyes now!

647526329_Cucumbersaladavotomsalad11-27.thumb.jpeg.f97d75f7025e14ae7bfc3c63fef023f2.jpeg

Cucumber salad. Avocado tomato thing. Both seasoned in a Japanese sorta way.