• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

@KennethT Now that's the proper amount of basil on a pizza! Why can't pizzerias do it right when I ask for extra basil? :P

@liuzhou I find your love of orzo entertaining, since back in the day (before my time) rice shaped Israeli couscous was introduced here as a substitute for the then expensive rice. It seems you opt to use orzo and couscous quite often for one living in a land of rice. Are those products often used for Chinese cooking among the Chinese, or are those usually reserved Western dishes? Are there local versions of wheat-based rice alternatives? (I'd expect something like that to originate in Northern China).

shain

shain

@KennethT Now that's the proper amount of basil on a pizza! Why can't pizzerias do it right when I ask for extra basil :P

@liuzhou I find your love of orzo entertaining, since back in the day (before my time) rice shaped Israeli couscous was introduced here as a substitute for the then expensive rice. It seems you opt to use orzo and couscous quite often for one living in a land of rice. Are those products often used for Chinese cooking among the Chinese, or are those usually reserved Western dishes? Are there local versions of wheat-based rice alternatives? (I'd expect something like that to originate in Northern China).