• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

How'd you slice the skirt steaks for everyone but yourself??!! 🤣

You two catered a family wedding?!! Boy, that is taking some chances!!

There was a little Italian restaurant, name of which I'm forgetting, on 1st Avenue down around 2nd or 3rd St. - you must know it? They did the whole eggplant, grilled and split open and seasoned with olive oil etc. - it was really great.

We were young and dumb and well, there was a period of time, if we liked you, we would cater your wedding for you...  We were catering weddings on the weekends, like one a month.  We did 4 freebies.  They were a lot of fun..  I am normally not a big fan of weddings so, it was the best of both worlds.. Do what you love, for someone you love, skip the wedding, get credit for going, plus they will love you forever... The last wedding we did was for our friends, 120 people, outside on a farm table... They were our best friends before they moved to Oakland and back when we had the luxury of having friends.   That was where we invented the precursor for  what is now known as our Mekelburg's Potato... So, for that alone it was worth it!   But yeh, weddings are so much fun to do, as long as the people are cool.  

I must say, just to let you know I am not a hard hearted man and that I do take into consideration advice, criticism and new things... I have tried to slice skirt steaks against the grain the last few times I have made them... I am willing to concede that in fact, flank steak does work better sliced across the grain but, i still disagree with skirt. 

BKEats

BKEats

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

How'd you slice the skirt steaks for everyone but yourself??!! 🤣

You two catered a family wedding?!! Boy, that is taking some chances!!

There was a little Italian restaurant, name of which I'm forgetting, on 1st Avenue down around 2nd or 3rd St. - you must know it? They did the whole eggplant, grilled and split open and seasoned with olive oil etc. - it was really great.

We were young and dumb and well, there was a period of time, if we liked you, we would cater your wedding for you...  We were catering weddings on the weekends, like one a month.  We did 4 freebies.  They were a lot of fun..  I am normally not a big fan of weddings so, it was the best of both worlds.. Do what you love, for someone you love, skip the wedding, get credit for going, plus they will love you forever... The last wedding we did was for our friends Sarah and Heather, 120 people, outside on a farm table... They were our best friends before they moved to Oakland and back when we had the luxury of having friends.   That was where we invented the precursor for  what is now known as our Mekelburg's Potato... So, for that alone it was worth it!   But yeh, weddings are so much fun to do, as long as the people are cool.  

I must say, just to let you know I am not a hard hearted man and that I do take into consideration advice, criticism and new things... I have tried to slice skirt steaks against the grain the last few times I have made them... I am willing to concede that in fact, flank steak does work better sliced across the grain but, i still disagree with skirt.