• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

58 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Folding?  I was sure that roti paratha required folding layers, but I was attracted to your version because it didn’t have any folding. 😉. Does your recipe above require folding?

Not folding like a croissant - the dough requires stretching so that it's super thin so you can see through it.  The professionals do this by constantly flipping it over an oiled steel table, but I am not nearly experienced enough to do that, so I put the rested dough ball on an oiled countertop, smush it into a disk, then going around in a circle grab a piece of the edge, lift and then pull, going around an around until it is stretched thin.  Then take a bit of oil and smear it on the top surface and roll the stretched sheet into a snake - you can also fold it - say 2/3 over, then the other 1/3, then roll into a snake.  You then take the snake and coil it around and tuck the tail underneath.  Press teh coil into a disk and fry with a tiny bit of oil on a medium/medium-high pan, flipping once.  I think the video I posted above shows her stretching the prata, near the end of the video....

KennethT

KennethT

54 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Folding?  I was sure that roti paratha required folding layers, but I was attracted to your version because it didn’t have any folding. 😉. Does your recipe above require folding?

Not folding like a croissant - the dough requires stretching so that it's super thin so you can see through it.  The professionals do this by constantly flipping it over an oiled steel table, but I am not nearly experienced enough to do that, so I put the rested dough ball on an oiled countertop, smush it into a disk, then going around in a circle grab a piece of the edge, lift and then pull, going around an around until it is stretched thin.  Then take a bit of oil and smear it on the top surface and roll the stretched sheet into a snake - you can also fold it - say 2/3 over, then the other 1/3, then roll into a snake.  You then take the snake and coil it around and tuck the tail underneath.  Press teh coil into a disk and fry with a tiny bit of oil on a medium/medium-high pan, flipping once.