• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

41 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Both bowl and bread look fabulous.   Bread "crumb: or flakiness particularly perfect.    Any pointers?

Thanks! For the curry, I made the rempah and cooked a quadruple batch of the curry (without the chicken) then divided and froze. That's what I usually do. This time I added a bit of new coconut milk during the cooking of the chicken which really perked it up. It was just as addictive as I remember it being in a kopitiam in Singapore.

For the prata, it's actually a relatively lean dough. For this version it was 600g flour with approx 10.8% protein. I made this using 118g 7% protein cake flour and 482g of 11.7% KAF all purpose. To this about 1t salt 1T sugar 15ml grapeseed oil 300ml water and 1 egg. Mixed by hand and let sit covered for about an hour or so. After that, I could actually knead it without using any extra flour. I kneaded it in several sessions of about 5 minutes each, separated by 20 min of rest. Divided into 8 balls, rolled in grapeseed oil, then sit in ramekins covered for a few hours. Then sit in the fridge overnight. This afternoon I froze 6 and stretched 2 a few minutes before the chicken was finished. Cooked until brown on both sides on a med-high pan with a bit of grapeseed oil. I think the key is lots of kneading interspersed with lots of rest to relax the gluten.

KennethT

KennethT

36 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Both bowl and bread look fabulous.   Bread "crumb: or flakiness particularly perfect.    Any pointers?

Thanks! For the curry, I made the rempah and cooked a quadruple batch of the curry (without the chicken) then divided and froze. That's what I usually do. This time I added a bit of new coconut milk during the cooking of the chicken which really perked it up. It was just as addictive as I remember it being in a kopitiam in Singapore.

For the prata, it's actually a relatively lean dough. For this version it was 600g flour with approx 10.8% protein. I made this using 118g 7% protein cake flour and 482g of 11.7% KAF all purpose. To this about 1t salt 1T sugar 15ml grapeseed oil and 1 egg. Mixed by hand and let sit covered for about an hour or so. After that, I could actually knead it without using any extra flour. I kneaded it in several sessions of about 5 minutes each, separated by 20 min of rest. Divided into 8 balls, rolled in grapeseed oil, then sit in ramekins covered for a few hours. Then sit in the fridge overnight. This afternoon I froze 6 and stretched 2 a few minutes before the chicken was finished. Cooked until brown on both sides on a med-high pan with a bit of grapeseed oil. I think the key is lots of kneading interspersed with lots of rest to relax the gluten.