• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

13 hours ago, shain said:

I boiled them in salted water until they were done, then oiled, grilled over high flame, sauced and briefly grilled again. I'm not sure that the second grilling did much, I wanted to carmelize the sauce a bit, but would skip it next time.

Regardless the blanching, I had to make those from scratch and I think they were a bit dry, so commercial ones might be grill ready. We are quite behind when it comes to Asian food and culture around here... I'd be surprised if there's any store in the country selling it at all :(

13 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Not sure about the Korean rice cakes (tteokbokki), but you can pan-fry the Japanese rice cakes (mochi). You get a nice, caramelized crust on the "cakes."

Chang, in the very first iteration and actual first Noodle Bar on 1st Avenue, had a rice cake dish on the menu. Pretty positive he didn't make his own (didn't make his noodles for ramen either, but you knew that); they were oiled and cooked on the plancha and they were great.

A bit of the mise for wonton making yesterday...

1754042806_Wontonmise10-17.thumb.jpeg.179aa786a7f64e74b689620de65faa61.jpeg

In process...

595651051_Wontons10-17.thumb.jpeg.603e10a543407d6b266760757c79c3f3.jpeg

I had 2 kinds of skin - the yellow ones are thinner than the lighter ones. I stuffed these with as much meat as possible...I figure I get finished faster that way (also why I didn't make fancier ones), and they probably have twice as much filling as a wonton at my local wontoneria.

492886017_Chilioil10-17.thumb.jpeg.28cdf06c810cbe3b80fce50d30ddc5c0.jpeg

Jazzed up the standard scallion ginger oil by adding two types of Szechuan chilis from Mala Grocery. It's good!

weinoo

weinoo

13 hours ago, shain said:

I boiled them in salted water until they were done, then oiled, grilled over high flame, sauced and briefly grilled again. I'm not sure that the second grilling did much, I wanted to carmelize the sauce a bit, but would skip it next time.

Regardless the blanching, I had to make those from scratch and I think they were a bit dry, so commercial ones might be grill ready. We are quite behind when it comes to Asian food and culture around here... I'd be surprised if there's any store in the country selling it at all :(

13 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Not sure about the Korean rice cakes (tteokbokki), but you can pan-fry the Japanese rice cakes (mochi). You get a nice, caramelized crust on the "cakes."

Chang, in the very first iteration and actual first Noodle Bar on 1st Avenue, had a rice cake dish on the menu. Pretty positive he didn't make his own (didn't make his noodles for ramen either, but you knew that); they were oiled and cooked on the plancha and they were great.

A bit of the mise for wonton making yesterday...

1754042806_Wontonmise10-17.thumb.jpeg.179aa786a7f64e74b689620de65faa61.jpeg

In process...

595651051_Wontons10-17.thumb.jpeg.603e10a543407d6b266760757c79c3f3.jpeg

I had 2 kinds of skin - the yellow ones are thinner than the lighter ones. I stuffed these with as much meat as possible...I figure I get faster that way, and they probably have twice as much filling as a wonton at my local wontoneria.

492886017_Chilioil10-17.thumb.jpeg.28cdf06c810cbe3b80fce50d30ddc5c0.jpeg

And I jazzed up the standard scallion ginger oil by adding two types of Szechuan chilis from Mala Grocery. It's good!