• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

9 hours ago, IowaDee said:

My meal to recreate for hubby is the Philly cheese steak he had while stationed at the Philadelphia Navel Hospital.  It just plain ain't about to happen but I keep flailing away at the project.  I agree, it is more of a memory than a real taste at this point.

Its do-able. The key factors are the bread and meat and cheese 😉 . You need a good hoagie roll. Amoroso's are as close as you can get in stores. They aren't like what the steak places get, but they are OK. Should be soft-ish. Not baguette hard.

Re meat you cannot use those crappy frozen things like Steakum. Rather get a cheap cut, like sirloin on sale, slice thin and chop up. pan fry and S/P.  Use more than seems reasonable for the sandwich. 

Cheese options vary between american, provolone and whiz...nothing else. For me provolone doesn't melt well enough and doesn't complement ketchup. Put cheese on bread first, mix fried onions  with the right-off-the-griddle hot meat and apply to roll.  If using ketchup put it between the cheese and  the meat. Don't use ice cold ketchup.You want the hot meat to melt the cheese.

Naval Hosp is long gone except for a couple buildings.. Its the Eagles practice facility now.

gfweb

gfweb

9 hours ago, IowaDee said:

My meal to recreate for hubby is the Philly cheese steak he had while stationed at the Philadelphia Navel Hospital.  It just plain ain't about to happen but I keep flailing away at the project.  I agree, it is more of a memory than a real taste at this point.

Its do-able. The key factors are the bread and meat and cheese 😉 . You need a good hoagie roll. Amoroso's are as close as you can get in stores. They aren't like what the steak places get, but they are OK. Should be soft-ish. Not baguette hard.

Re meat you cannot use those crappy frozen things like Steakum. Rather get a cheap cut, like sirloin on sale, slice thin and chop up. pan fry and S/P.  Use more than seems reasonable for the sandwich. 

Cheese options vary between american, provolone and whiz...nothing else. For me provolone doesn't melt well enough and doesn't complement ketchup. Put cheese on bread first, mix fried onions  with the right-off-the-griddle hot meat and apply to roll.  If using ketchup put it between the cheese and  the meat. Don't use ice cold ketchup.You want the hot meat to melt the cheese.