• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Fishmongers! Treasures. More valued than boyfriends. My first taught me to debone trout. A life lesson I still use 40 or so years later, 

Side story.    Many years ago I locked myself out of my car while parking behind my local super.    I went into the fish department, closest to the door, and asked the fishmonger if he could help me break in.   He brought out a long flexible boning knife and proceeded to do a fair number on the rubber window fittings before finally springing the lock.   

My husband shook his head and reminded me that this man had been a prisoner of war from Italy, held at the Presidio here during WWII,    Didn't bust out of the brig then, nor into cars since.

ETA  Here  is a story of a similarly imprisoned Italian who married a relative-in-law.   Sweet.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

54 minutes ago, heidih said:

Fishmongers! Treasures. More valued than boyfriends. My first taught me to debone trout. A life lesson I still use 40 or so years later, 

Side story.    Many years ago I locked myself out of my car while parking behind my local super.    I went into the fish department, closest to the door, and asked the fishmonger if he could help me break in.   He brought out a long flexible boning knife and proceeded to do a fair number on the rubber window fittings before finally springing the lock.   

My husband shook his head and reminded me that this man had been a prisoner of war from Italy, held at the Presidio here during WWII,    Didn't bust out of the brig then, nor into cars since.