• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou when you buy shrimp in your supermarket (or wherever you buy them) are they head-on and shell-on or do they come precleaned and headless?

I usually buy wild shrimp in the wet market where  they come live and wriggling, so they are head and shell intact! The ones I ate today, I cleaned and shelled apart from tails. Heads and shells are making a stock right now.

One of my local supermarkets also does live farmed shrimp, which I only buy if the wet market fails. Until recently that was rarely, but we live in strange times.

Otherwise, it's possible to buy dead ones either cleaned, decapitated or fully intact apart from life. These may or may not have been frozen. Frozen are also available. I very seldom go there.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou when you buy shrimp in your supermarket (or wherever you buy them) are they head-on and shell-on or do they come precleaned and headless?

I usually buy wild shrimp in the wet market where  they come live and wriggling, so they are head and shell intact! The ones I ate today, I cleaned and shelled apart from tails. Heads and shells are making a stock right now.

One of my local supermarkets also does live farmed shrimp, which I only buy if the wet market fails. Until recently that was rarely, but we live in strange times.

Otherwise, it's possible to buy dead ones either cleaned, decapitated or or fuly intact apart from life. These may or may not have been frozen. Frozen are also available. I very seldom go there.