• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

46 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's a good feeling when the young 'uns develop a passion for something that's also good for them.

Maybe I am old but the "eat it is good for you" was never in my house I was sick of beef every night and really enjoyed the side veggies best. Maybe they had white sauce in them (Einbren a light German roux)  but those are my  nostalgic favorites.  And grandma only used red leaf lettuce unfortunately doused in a watery vinegar, sugar, touch of oil dressing that mooshed the tender stuff. I finally convinced her to just let me dress my own more lightly. I was thrilled when I read Edna B Lewis's recount of their family dressing of just vinegar, sugar, salt, water on fresh picked tender lettuces.

heidih

heidih

32 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's a good feeling when the young 'uns develop a passion for something that's also good for them.

Maybe I am old but the "eat it is good for you" was never in my house I was sick of beef every night and really enjoyed the side veggies best. Maybe they had white sauce in them (Einbren a light German roux)  but those are my  nostalgic favorites.  And grandma only used red leaf lettuce unfortunately doused in a watery vinegar, sugar, touch or oil dressing that mooshed the tender stuff. I finally convinced her to just let me dress my own more lightly. I was thrilled when I read Edna B Lewis's recount of their family dressing of just vinegar, sugar, salt, water.