• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

I made fresh green beans last night.  They were a little bitter.  It seems to me they should be very good at the beginning of November.  They looked fine and I even tried to "string" a couple to see if they were excessively stringy (which sometimes even the "stringless" are) and snapped one - it was not limp and dry.  Is there some way to tell in the store if they are going to be bitter?  Do I have to taste a raw bean?  Blah.  

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Moderators: I looked and couldn't find a thread with this topic, which seems hard to believe, so if I've just searched badly please just staple me onto the end of that!

I made fresh green beans last night.  They were a little bitter.  It seems to me they should be very good at the beginning of November.  They looked fine and I even tried to "string" a couple to see if they were excessively stringy (which sometimes even the "stringless" are) and snapped one - it was not limp and dry.  Is there some way to tell in the store if they are going to be bitter?  Do I have to taste a raw bean?  Blah.