• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning Your Wedding

Rosie

i think our wedding menu was the easiest part of planning our wedding. we had hired a caterer (dan barber) whose work we knew well. we had complete confidence in him. he knew we'd want everything to be seasonal (which is how he cooks) and that nothing should be too fussy. we let him come up with a menu and we pretty much went with everything he suggested. for fun we played around with the utensils. the first course was served without any so you ate it with your hands. the second course was served with chopsticks. the third with a fork and spoon and dessert, which was layered in a tall glass, was served with a long thin spoon. on the menu, the first course was covered with a label with a picture of two hands, the second with chopsticks, etc, and guests had to peel off the labels to see what was being served.

i guess my suggestion would be to find a chef whose food you love -- it eliminates a lot of the anxiety. and i would always recommend seasonal cooking because it simplifies your choices. if you're getting married in december, then asparagus wouldn't even be an option.