• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First food impressions

Welcome to eGullet Amanda!

(Sorry if I am out of place in addressing you by first name, I hope you can forgive me if that is an issue.)

Would you share with us what those experiences were that in some way or the other steered your life in the direction it has taken?

What if any were the strongest memories about food from growing up?

Where did you find your strongest calling to be a food writer?

What are 2-3 of your favorite food memories?

Are there any dreams related to food and food-writing that you hope you can realize?

Thanks for joining our eGullet community via this Q&A, it is my hope (and certainly of many other members) that you will continue your affiliation long after this Q&A.

All the best to you with your future projects.

Best,

Suvir Saran

hi suvir. thank you for your note and welcome. i don't recall a moment when i thought "aha! i should be a food writer!" it was more of a gradual process. i've always loved food. my entire family has. meals were important to us, and my mother was a great influence. whenever we'd go to the grocery store, if i asked her what she was going to buy, she would always say, "i'm going to buy what looks good." she would examine all the produce and inspect the meats. she cooked seasonally. we never ate tomatoes in the winter. and she liked to introduce us to new things. i can remember her bringing home kiwis once (they were exotic in pennsylvania) and telling us that a ripe kiwi would taste like every fruit distilled into one. another time, she covered the table with newspaper and handed us each a pomegranate.

i suppose that i have many early memories of meals and tastes and cooking experiences, and that collectively they led me to take the subject of food more seriously and make a career of it.

- amanda