• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

Here's what I have in a backpack for "on the road" serving/cooking.  Not camping.  In case of bringing stuff back to room or whatever accommodations.   The backpack I use is just a standard school size backpack that was laying around.   I just toss it in the vehicle when a trip comes up.  We do roadtrips quite a bit and sometimes aren't near restaurants that interest us.   Especially if the only choice is Applebees/Chilis/Olive Garden etc.   Or it we've found something good on the road and want to eat it later, like finding a great BBQ place but at the wrong time.

Silipint bowls and cups, easy to clean, can be  used as cooking vessels.

A pair of metal tongs. (these are invaluable)

A couple serrated steak knifes, for eating and prepping.

A couple sets of real flatware, not plastic

Plastic serving spoons/ forks/tongs poached from catering events, usually disposed of, but sturdy for light reuse.

A flexible cutting board.

A spatula and pie cutter (for side of the road pie places)

A wooden spoon

Victorinox peeler (for using roadside produce)

A couple empty plastic takeout style boxes in case of needing to store something.

A small box of zip-loc style bags.

A couple kitchen trash bags.

A couple wooden steak plates for dinnerware (I picked up a set at Goodwill for couple bucks, they are super useful)

A couple of smaller empty reusable water bottles.

a few more things I just can't remember right now.

Individual salt and pepper packets.

Small bottle of hot sauce.

Napkins + papertowels + wet wipes

We also bring our own tiny vacuum coffeemaker and coffee, which is VERY Important, VERY.   It's got its own special bag.

lemniscate

lemniscate

Here's what I have in a backpack for "on the road" serving/cooking.  Not camping.  In case of bringing stuff back to room or whatever accommodations.   The backpack I use is just a standard school size backpack that was laying around.   I just toss it in the vehicle when a trip comes up.  We do roadtrips quite a bit and sometimes aren't near restaurants that interest us.   Especially if the only choice is Applebees/Chilis/Olive Garden etc.   Or it we've found something good on the road and want to eat it later, like finding a great BBQ place but at the wrong time.

Silipint bowls and cups, easy to clean, can be cooked used as cooking vessels.

A pair of metal tongs. (these are invaluable)

A couple serrated steak knifes, for eating and prepping.

A couple sets of real flatware, not plastic

Plastic serving spoons/ forks/tongs poached from catering events, usually disposed of, but sturdy for light reuse.

A flexible cutting board.

A spatula and pie cutter (for side of the road pie places)

A wooden spoon

Victorinox peeler (for using roadside produce)

A couple empty plastic takeout style boxes in case of needing to store something.

A small box of zip-loc style bags.

A couple kitchen trash bags.

A couple wooden steak plates for dinnerware (I picked up a set at Goodwill for couple bucks, they are super useful)

A couple of smaller empty reusable water bottles.

a few more things I just can't remember right now.

Individual salt and pepper packets.

Small bottle of hot sauce.

Napkins + papertowels + wet wipes

We also bring our own tiny vacuum coffeemaker and coffee, which is VERY Important, VERY.   It's got its own special bag.