• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

I don't know if this is one of the 'rules' but I leave my butter out all the time, 24/7 regardless of the temperature.

I keep it in a china covered butter dish.  It has never gone rancid and never melted.  I use quality butter from Costco or the nearby grocer or the imported Kerrygold.  Never had a problem and have been doing this for many, many years.

ETA:  I remember a young woman I worked with some years ago who lived with her boyfriend in a trailer.  She left the butter out on a dish on the counter overnight and when she went into the kitchen in the morning the butter dish was empty and surround by a circle of mouse turds.

lindag

lindag

I don't know if this is one of the 'rules' but I leave my butter out all the time, 24/7 regardless of the temperature.

I keep it in a china covered butter dish.  It has never gone rancid and never melted.  I use quality butter from Costco or the nearby grocer or the imported Kerrygold.  Never had a problem and have been doing this for many, many years.