• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do I get crunch for sushi roll? (USA based)

Vaindioux

Interesting link and website, I created an account there.

I opened the package and tasted it. It has no taste but has that consistency I get when I eat crunch rolls in restaurants. I m making sushi tonight, i will try a roll with it.

I just can't deal with making my own crunch, it's just me and my wife eating sushi and I make them like twice a month.

Thxs for sharing

Pat

• Like 1

I believe they fry the panko briefly to take some of the “raw” flavor off, but not so long as to brown it. You might just want to try toasting some briefly in a sautee pan?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 minute ago, BeeZee said:

I believe they fry the panko briefly to take some of the “raw” flavor off, but not so long as to brown it. You might just want to try toasting some briefly in a sautee pan?

This is what I do, for just as much as I need at a time.  The stuff appears to have an astonishingly long shelf life.

2 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

That sounds great, I m trying tonight.

thxs so much

pat

22 minutes ago, Vaindioux said:

Do I just throw it in the frying pan with nothing? Or put some oil?

Sorry for the dumb question 🙄

Thxs

Pat

Dry works.  I have tried it with a small amount of oil, but it doesn't appear to be necessary.