• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

13 hours ago, Owtahear said:

I don't know why places don't do this? 

It's not that hard!

That's true as far as it goes, but there's always that pesky gap between theory and reality.

I found myself constantly having to make adjustments based on the potatoes I was getting from my supplier. Hypothetically they should have been the same year-round (same supplier, same brand, same cultivar, etc) but that's never the case. Sometimes they were perfect. Sometimes they'd clearly not been out of the farm co-op's cold storage for as long as they should have been, and were still in their sugary "anti-freeze" state (and therefore a quick-browning PITA to deal with). At some point in the year there's the switch from old-crop to new-crop potatoes to dread, as well...that requires similar adjustment.

I eventually mastered the necessary tweaks (longer soak, lower the blanching temp) but it was an ongoing battle, and I threw out a lot of fries in the process. The worst part? I also had to keep frozen fries on hand because a solid half of my clientele preferred those. 🙄

chromedome

chromedome

13 hours ago, Owtahear said:

I don't know why places don't do this? 

It's not that hard!

That's true as far as it goes, but there's always that pesky gap between theory and reality.

I found myself constantly having to make adjustments based on the potatoes I was getting from my supplier. Hypothetically they should have been the same year-round (same supplier, same brand, same cultivar, etc) but that's never the case. Sometimes they were perfect. Sometimes they'd clearly not been out of the farm co-op's cold storage for as long as they should have been, and were still in their sugary "anti-freeze" state (and therefore a quick-browning PITA to deal with). At some point in the year there's the switch from old-crop to new-crop potatoes to dread, as well...that's gonna take some adjustment as well.

I eventually mastered the necessary tweaks (longer soak, lower the blanching temp) but it was an ongoing battle, and I threw out a lot of fries in the process. The worst part? I also had to keep frozen fries on hand because a solid half of my clientele preferred those. 🙄