Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soleil

Cleaning cocoa butter sprayers

Recommended Posts

I have a Husky HVLP sprayer that I bought at Home depot on advice. Works well for my small volume needs. My question is how do you guys clean them?  I was made aware that cocoA butter can go rancid, so any suggestions on what to use and technique to clean this sprayer?  A friend suggested Steamine tablets. I’m still at the high end hobbyist- trying to become more than a hobby stage so I’m not familiar with these. Any advice?  Thanks. 

Soleil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I turn my HVLP upside down over a paper towel, put my finger over the needle and pull the trigger - cocoa butter refluxes back up and flows out onto the paper towel. I also blow hot air with the heat gun into the cup and repeat the refluxing. Then wipe the inside of the cup with paper towel. I will also just spray hot air through the gun. If it has gotten too disgusting - then I might spray really really hot water through it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I turn my HVLP upside down over a paper towel, put my finger over the needle and pull the trigger - cocoa butter refluxes back up and flows out onto the paper towel. I also blow hot air with the heat gun into the cup and repeat the refluxing. Then wipe the inside of the cup with paper towel. I will also just spray hot air through the gun. If it has gotten too disgusting - then I might spray really really hot water through it.

 

 

I do more or less the same, except that I never spray water through the gun. I just get the gun warm, then empty it out as best I can, then add a new color and continue. In another discussion on this topic, the consensus was that most people do not do really thorough cleaning of airbrushes or sprayers (such as would require taking it apart). It's not like using it for paint--with cocoa butter, you can just melt everything out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I do more or less the same, except that I never spray water through the gun. I just get the gun warm, then empty it out as best I can, then add a new color and continue. In another discussion on this topic, the consensus was that most people do not do really thorough cleaning of airbrushes or sprayers (such as would require taking it apart). It's not like using it for paint--with cocoa butter, you can just melt everything out.

Yeah - can't recall the last time I cleaned it with water - might have been for a video so it would look purdy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I’ve just been using air to blow excess cocoa butter out at end but wanted to make sure I wasn’t creating an potentially environment for something to grow or contaminate anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taught to clean it with vodka, just spray out the cocoa butter, pour a capful of vodka in and spray it. You don’t have to worry about any water in it. I also occasionally take mine apart and wipe it down with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LabKat said:

I was taught to clean it with vodka, just spray out the cocoa butter, pour a capful of vodka in and spray it. You don’t have to worry about any water in it. I also occasionally take mine apart and wipe it down with it. 

 

LK, that is how I was taught too.  But I never hear of anyone else doing it, so I questioned myself on whether or not it was worth using the (admittedly) small amount of Vodka or if I was doing it wrong.  I guess as long as the end result is it is clean, it is okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×