• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

As a veteran of many kitchen and also home buying scenarios I'd say almost nothing is "non-negatiable". Look at kitchens in Hong Kong or New York City -walk in closets! For me it is counterspace,  windows so I am not working in a "room withut a view", and either existing or good appliances or room for what your preference is. As a designer I find that the feeling of the property in general as well as how you feel in the kitchen space is paramount. Melissa Clark tells a great story about her early NYC apartment where the cat could only enter if she had one foot out the doorway, appliances piled on top of every space, and she catered some pretty cool meals. 

heidih

heidih

As a veteran of many kitchen and also home buying scenarios I'd say almost nothing is "non-negatiable". Look at kitchens in Hong Kong or New York City -walk in closets! For me it is counterspace,  windows so I am not working in a "room withut a view", and either existing or good appliances or room for what your preference is. As a designer I find that the feeling of the property in general as well as how you feel in the kitchen spce is parmount. Melissa Clark tells a great story bout her early NYC apartment where the cat could only enter if she had one foot out the doorway, appliances piled on top of every space, and she catered some pretty cool meals.