• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

@Tri2Cook yes, but you should still try. 

My bars all have various inclusions or fillings, and scraping the molds back into the melter can pick up bits of those.  To get maximum use out of the chocolate and fewest washings of the molds, I'll do the 72% bars with no allergens first, then switch to 60% and make the 3 flavors with only soy and milk, then one with soy, milk, and either wheat or nuts.  After I've made a batch and have leftover chocolate that has been used with wheat or nuts I label it and keep it separate and only use it for that flavor.  As I scale up, I should move to bigger batches and only use the chocolate for one thing.   I have a 24 kg melter but don't need 450 bar batches yet, this method lets me make 150 of 3 flavors with one melter-full of 60% and be able to tell people that I'm trying my best.

Otherwise, I think you just have to make a few batches of everything and roll with it.  If you've gotten to the point of a Selmi and a retail shop, surely you already know what your best sellers are and how long it takes to make a batch.  There will always be some adjustments for a new kitchen and maybe the retail location will have a different demographic than whatever you've done before. 

Keep us posted!  I think we all dream of having cute little shops, few of us achieve it.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

@Tri2Cook yes, but you should still try. 

My bars all have various inclusions or fillings, and scraping the molds back into the melter can pick up bits of those.  To get maximum use out of the chocolate and fewest washings of the molds, I'll do the 72% bars with no allergens first, then the 60% with only soy and milk, then the 60% bars with soy, milk, and either wheat or nuts.  After I've made a batch and have leftover chocolate that has been used with wheat or nuts I label it and keep it separate and only use it for that flavor.  As I scale up, I should move to bigger batches and only use the chocolate for one thing.   I have a 24 kg melter but don't need 450 bar batches yet, so I make 150 of 3 flavors with one melter-full of 60%

Otherwise, I think you just have to make a few batches of everything and roll with it.  If you've gotten to the point of a Selmi and a retail shop, surely you already know what your best sellers are and how long it takes to make a batch.  There will always be some adjustments for a new kitchen and maybe the retail location will have a different demographic than what you've done before.  Keep us posted!  I think we all dream of having cute little shops, few of us achieve it.