• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pâte en croute with foie gras inlay: question

pervis

Hello, working on an en croute.  Have made many, and feel good about the basic ones that I do.   But I wanted to try something different in there this time.   Has anyone done a foie inlay before?  Doesn't have to be perfectly round, in fact id rather it just thick slices through it. 

I guess my question is does it need to be cooked before, like a terrine and then sliced and put in ?  Surely its just not laid in raw ?    I feel the fat runoff wold be too much.   Thanks for any advice !!!!

Danny

Poach the foie gras ahead of time and chill.  American foie gras is much fattier than the French counterparts and are prone to releasing far too much fat.

Buy "B" lobes as they are smaller, and slightly cheaper, than the "A" lobes which are absurdly massive and look like what I imagine David Crosby's liver to be.

• Haha 3