• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, but this brings up different question for which I was about to start a separate thread!

Back a while I purchased a lovely boneless roast of pork shoulder from amazon.  There was more meat than I envisioned.  I cubed the meat, bagged the excess, and then froze it.  Now I have a bag of pork shoulder cubes.  Can I grill them??  Or should I braise or anova them?  Is pork shoulder suitable for dry heat?

You could do a long braise or a longer annova, but the IP would be my go to.  You can turn them into carnitas, chile verde or char siu.  Have posted recipes for carnitas and char siu with the IP and subsequent broiling in the IP thread. 

Pork shoulder can can get dry heat but low and slow. Since it’s already cubed it will cook too fast and not be tender. 

mgaretz

mgaretz

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, but this brings up different question for which I was about to start a separate thread!

Back a while I purchased a lovely boneless roast of pork shoulder from amazon.  There was more meat than I envisioned.  I cubed the meat, bagged the excess, and then froze it.  Now I have a bag of pork shoulder cubes.  Can I grill them??  Or should I braise or anova them?  Is pork shoulder suitable for dry heat?

You could do a long braise or a longer annova, but the IP would be my go to.  You can turn them into carnitas, chile verde or char siu.  Have posted recipes for carnitas and char siu with the IP and subsequent broiling in the IP thread.