• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

This phrase still surprises me after 2 or 3 readings. The sweet corn up here in northern Minnesota is just coming into its own, and much of it is being schlepped up from the middle and southern parts of the state. I keep thinking that those of you farther south in the USA would have sweet corn later in the season than this! Does it have to do with the particular variety you plant?

Well, I'm not totally sure.

I've planted Silver Queen and Nirvana--Nirvana being my current favorite--and both are ready by the end of July.  July 27th of this year was when we picked our first huge load that I put up.  I suppose one could stagger planting so you would have some that are ready later, but when I'm planting, I'm planting.  I don't want to plant again lol.  Like @kayb said, you can plant a second crop.  I actually did that for the first time this year.  I have no idea if it will make in time before freeze.  I found some left over Silver Queen seeds and did about 5 rows.  Maybe the commercial sweet corn growers don't want to stagger either?  Don't want to pay again for herbicide/insecticide etc.?  Maybe they don't want to gamble on an early freeze?

edited to add:   Some summers here are so very hot that corn burns up.  Could be another reason?  August can be brutal.

Shelby

Shelby

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

This phrase still surprises me after 2 or 3 readings. The sweet corn up here in northern Minnesota is just coming into its own, and much of it is being schlepped up from the middle and southern parts of the state. I keep thinking that those of you farther south in the USA would have sweet corn later in the season than this! Does it have to do with the particular variety you plant?

Well, I'm not totally sure.

I've planted Silver Queen and Nirvana--Nirvana being my current favorite--and both are ready by the end of July.  July 27th of this year was when we picked our first huge load that I put up.  I suppose one could stagger planting so you would have some that are ready later, but when I'm planting, I'm planting.  I don't want to plant again lol.  Like @kayb said, you can plant a second crop.  I actually did that for the first time this year.  I have no idea if it will make in time before freeze.  I found some left over Silver Queen seeds and did about 5 rows.  Maybe the commercial sweet corn growers don't want to stagger either?  Don't want to pay again for herbicide/insecticide etc.?  Maybe they don't want to gamble on an early freeze?