• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
brooksms

Another cookie question!

Hi! Thank you for helping with the chocolate chip cookie troubleshooting last time. I'm fairly confident in my recipe for the huge 6 oz chocolate chip cookies I've been baking. These cookies, in a conventional oven at home, are baked at 400 F for 13 mins or 410 F 11:30 depending on the mix-ins. They're baked just enough to set the outside essentially. This keeps them moist for a week! However, when I make them in a smaller 4 oz size, they are visually too small. As in, since they set quickly with minimal spread, they are thick but pretty small in diameter. It isn't a problem for gifts but for business they look like they should cost less. The simple answer would be to use a lower temp. I've tried various temps and times between 360-390 F. All temps fix the size issue but create another problem. 385 F for 12 mins creates the right shape/size but more spread + longer bake time dries out the edge! Reducing sugar + adding oil helped just a tad but was also slightly flatter. I'm trying to avoid adding egg yolk for ease when baking at a higher volume. I don't want to cause extra spread because the shape is great. Ideas for fixing this? Currently working with 112g brown sugar + 48g white sugar for a 1 stick of butter recipe. Maybe somehow adjust to incorporate liquid sugar like molasses or honey? Thoughts?

Sign in to follow this