• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 10/19/2018 at 2:21 AM, cdh said:

This is the stuff that I always thought of as gai lan. 

On 10/19/2018 at 3:15 AM, heidih said:

Hhmmm - gai lan in my book looks like broccolini or rapini on steroids. 

On 10/19/2018 at 5:18 AM, KennethT said:

Right - gai lan is called "Chinese Broccoli" sometimes in the USA... also, keep in mind that gailan is the Cantonese for Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra (from Wikipedia).  The stems are much thicker and hardier than what has been pictured above so far.

While in the supermarket I picked up a bunch of 'gailan'. Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra as noted by @KennethT.

In Chinese it is 芥兰/芥蘭 (Mand:  jiè lán; Cant: gaai3 laan4*2). In English it is usually Chinese broccoli or sometimes Chinese kale.

gailan3.thumb.jpg.121d67a437ca5299ebcb6b52b532002e.jpg

In the next image you can see the thick stem, @KennethT also mentioned.

This is another vegetable that is usually simply stir fried (in lard, for preference) with garlic and maybe oyster sauce.

gailan2.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 hours ago, cdh said:

This is the stuff that I always thought of as gai lan. 

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Hhmmm - gai lan in my book looks like broccolini or rapini on steroids. 

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

Right - gai lan is called "Chinese Broccoli" sometimes in the USA... also, keep in mind that gailan is the Cantonese for Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra (from Wikipedia).  The stems are much thicker and hardier than what has been pictured above so far.

While in the supermarket I picked up a bunch of 'gailan'. Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra as noted by @KennethT.

In Chinese it is 芥兰/芥蘭 (Mand:  jiè lán; Cant: gaai3 laan4*2). In English it is usually Chinese broccoli or sometimes Chinese kale.

gailan3.thumb.jpg.121d67a437ca5299ebcb6b52b532002e.jpg

In the next image you can see the thick stem, @KennethT also mentioned.

This is another vegetable that is usually simply stir fried (in lard, for preference) with garlic and maybe oyster sauce.

gailan2.jpg