• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

InfinityCandies

InfinityCandies

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing! 

Also, how did you calculate the $1.40 for each chocolate made using the tempering machine? 

InfinityCandies

InfinityCandies

Ok. I think I was chatting with you before in terms of figuring out retail price. You had mentioned allow room in my price for a good profit margin, with wholesale marking up 10-20% and retail a 50% markup. All I’m trying to figure out without it getting into taxes is understanding what my retail price represents. And if equipment (+molds) is in some minute way, factored into each product, I want to factor that in.

I feel like my equation is:

fixed costs + variable costs + “some magical unknown number” = retail price.

Without knowing what things are comprised in the unknown number, I’m afraid I could be overlooking something that I need to account for.  Since this is a home-based shop, my overhead is low, but I want to account for all appropriate costs and expenses.

*Is there also some financial rule that you simply double your costs to cover expenses? What does that number represent coverage for? Trying to find the source of this feels endless.  If I end up with a higher profit margin, great. I can save some as capital.  If a lower margin, then I revisit that equation to see what I’ve not included.

Hope that makes sense.