• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Grammar

7DD2A18A-AED3-4BFE-8B55-86EFE874E510.thumb.jpeg.9e5dc63e4d237ef0a6d9b1881ac24f9d.jpeg

My first born son was given a couple of these by a gardener in Cambridge, Ontario. He gave one to me and one to my daughter. I thought it was a squash but he said no it was a fruit. A little research suggests that it is indeed a papaya. It is not a fruit that I have ever dealt with before. My research suggests that some papaya never ripen once picked but that others can be left on the counter to ripen.  Research also suggests that it will be ready to eat when it gives to some pressure from the fingers much like an avocado. This one is as hard as a rock!

Do I give it time on the counter? Do I cut into it and see what it’s like inside? Any help would be much appreciated.

The marker is there just as a size comparison. 

Anna N

Anna N

7DD2A18A-AED3-4BFE-8B55-86EFE874E510.thumb.jpeg.9e5dc63e4d237ef0a6d9b1881ac24f9d.jpeg

My first born son was given a couple of these by a gardener in Cambridge, Ontario. He gave one to me and one to my daughter. I thought it was a squash but he said no it was a fruit. A little research suggests that it is indeed a papaya. It is not a fruit that I have ever dealt with before. My research suggests that some papaya never ripen once picked but that others can be left on the counter to ripen.  Research also suggests that it will be ready to eat when it gives to some pressure from the fingers much like an avocado. This one is this as hard as a rock!

Do I give it time on the counter? Do I cut into it and see what it’s like inside? Any help would be much appreciated.

The marker is there just as a size comparison.