• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

21 hours ago, dcarch said:

LOL!

A Vitamix is way over priced. 

A router is a 4x to 5x more complicated machine than a Vitamix, yet a router is about 1/3 the price. Both Vitamix and a router use about the same motor.

dcarch

Well ... you can get a refurb for around $300. You still get a 3-year warranty. That's for a US-made machine with  Swedish (Electrolux) 11 amp motor with a great reliability record. And you're not just getting a motor and shaft. You get the jug, which is designed for optimal flow and shear characteristics (sadly not for being easy to clean) ...  and the stainless blades and sealed bearings. And excellent speed control. It's durable and well designed. The tamper is a killer feature, but would be fairly easy to copy. I assume a patent keeps the other companies from doing so.

If I wanted a blender that was almost as good and cheaper, I'd just get one of the perfectly good knockoffs, like a Ninja or Blendtec. I'm betting they'd be more efficient and easier to use than a hot-rodded router. But probably not as fun a project.

BTW, here's a video teardown, plus abuse, by my favorite potty-mouthed Canadian machinist/engineer/comedian. The VM is just about the only kitchen tool he has kind words for. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

58 minutes ago, dcarch said:

LOL!

A router is a 4x to 5x more complicated machine than a Vitamix, yet a router is about 1/3 the price. Both Vitamix and a router use about the same motor.

dcarch

Well ... you can get a refurb for around $300. You still get a 3-year warranty. That's for a US-made machine with  Swedish (Electrolux) 11 amp motor with a stellar reliability record. And you're not just getting a motor and shaft. You get the jug, which is designed for optimal flow and shear characteristics (sadly not for being easy to clean) ...  and the stainless blades and sealed bearings. And excellent speed control. It's all very durable and well designed. The tamper is a game-changer, but that feature would be fairly easy to copy. I assume a patent keeps the other companies from doing so.

If I wanted a blender that was almost as good and cheaper, I'd just get one of the perfectly good knockoffs, like a Ninja or Blendtec. I'm pretty sure they'd be more efficient and easier to use than a hot-rodded router.

BTW, here's a video teardown, plus abuse, by my favorite potty-mouthed Canadian machinist/engineer/comedian. The VM is just about the only kitchen tool he has kind words for. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

56 minutes ago, dcarch said:

LOL!

dcarch

Well ... you can get a refurb for around $300. You still get a 3-year warranty. That's for a US-made machine with  Swedish (Electrolux) 11 amp motor with a stellar reliability record. And you're not just getting a motor and shaft. You get the jug, which is designed for optimal flow and shear characteristics (sadly not for being easy to clean) ...  and the stainless blades and sealed bearings. It's all very durable and well designed. The tamper is a game-changer, but that feature would be fairly easy to copy. I assume a patent keeps the other companies from doing so.

If I wanted a blender that was almost as good and cheaper, I'd just get one of the perfectly good knockoffs, like a Ninja or Blendtec. I'm pretty sure they'd be more efficient and easier to use than a hot-rodded router.

paulraphael

paulraphael

45 minutes ago, dcarch said:

LOL!

dcarch

Well ... you can get a refurb for around $300. You still get a 3-year warranty. That's for a US-made machine with  Swedish (Electrolux) 11 amp motor with a stellar reliability record. And you're not just getting a motor and shaft. You get the jug, which is designed for optimal flow and shear characteristics (sadly not for being easy to clean) ...  and the stainless blades and sealed bearings. It's all very durable and well designed. The tamper is a game-changer, but that feature would be fairly easy to copy. I assume a patent keeps the other companies from doing so.