• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

On 2018-04-26 at 10:49 AM, btbyrd said:

Anson Mills offers a variety of heirloom grains and their website has a number of useful recipes. The recipe instructions tend toward the insanely detailed side of things -- even for familiar and "easy" grains like rice or corn grits. But I've found that to be more instructive in the long run, as it helps you get a sense for what's happening with the grains as they cook.

I've also started cooking rice in a ceramic donabe recently, and have been meaning to try some other grains in there as well. I asked Glenn Roberts from Anson Mills about that, and he informed me that pretty much any grain can be cooked in a donabe, provided that one gets the hydration right.

I will second the thank you for posting about this site.  Wow, what a lot of work they put into it.  I wish I could get their products...I just emailed them to see if they ship to Western Canada.

@ElsieD If you want an interesting salad, try Diana Henry's "Crazy Salad" from A Change of Appetite on page 230.  It uses farro, lentils and chickpeas in a very flavourful dressing.  Here is a picture....I had some feta kicking around so I put some on the salad.

DSC02356.thumb.jpg.023ad140354b82cba80a6b22d1328aac.jpg

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

On 2018-04-26 at 10:49 AM, btbyrd said:

Anson Mills offers a variety of heirloom grains and their website has a number of useful recipes. The recipe instructions tend toward the insanely detailed side of things -- even for familiar and "easy" grains like rice or corn grits. But I've found that to be more instructive in the long run, as it helps you get a sense for what's happening with the grains as they cook.

I've also started cooking rice in a ceramic donabe recently, and have been meaning to try some other grains in there as well. I asked Glenn Roberts from Anson Mills about that, and he informed me that pretty much any grain can be cooked in a donabe, provided that one gets the hydration right.

I will second the thank you for posting about this site.  Wow, what a lot of work they put into it.  I wish I could get their products...I just emailed them to see if they ship to Western Canada.

@ElsieD I you want an interesting salad, try Diana Henry's "Crazy Salad" from A Change of Appetite on page 230.  It uses farro, lentils and chickpeas in a very flavourful dressing.  Here is a picture....I had some feta kicking around so I put some on the salad.

DSC02356.thumb.jpg.023ad140354b82cba80a6b22d1328aac.jpg