• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

...most of us have stockpiles of food and didn't keep the receipts.

I keep a record of all costs...have to—to squeeze every nickel until the buffalo farts! xD

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

I am not fond of competitions.

We don't, usually, think about it as competition at home or among friends and family.

But it's certainly an issue when we dine out or order in.

We're usually paying BIG bucks in either case, competition definitely does come into play.

If that wasn't the case, everyone would be happy and there would be no such thing as reviews.

@heidih posted a Sara Moulton podcast interview. I really like Sara—I miss the good old days.

She said (paraphrasing here) that food isn't about competition, it's about sharing.

Well, partly.

Food is about sustenance, enjoyment, sharing, and _________.

The order is personal need and preference.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

43 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I keep a record of all costs...have to—to squeeze every nickel until the buffalo farts! xD

43 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

We don't, usually, think about it as competition at home or among friends and family.

We're usually paying BIG bucks in both cases, competition definitely does come into play.

If that wasn't the case, everyone would be happy and there would be no such thing as reviews.

@heidih posted a Sara Moulton podcast interview. I really like Sara—I miss the good old days.

She said (paraphrasing here) that food isn't about competition, it's about sharing.

Well, partly.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

38 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

38 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

We're usually paying BIG bucks in both cases, competition definitely does come into play.

If that wan't the case, everyone would be happy and there would be no such thing as reviews.

Well, partly.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

18 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I keep a record of all costs...have to, to squeeze the nickel until the buffalo farts! xD

20 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

If that wan't the case, everyone would be happy and there would be no such thing as reviews.

Well, partly.