• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

We're the relatively new kids on the block.  We've met most of our neighbors and have been to their homes and they have been to our home, always for group get-togethers.  We always bring a bottle of wine and they have likewise brought bottles to our parties.  

A part-time couple has invited just us for wine and cheese.   We have never socialized with them before, neither at our home or at other neighborhood get-togethers.  

This is probably Etiquette 101, but my DH and I disagree on what to bring.  I think it would be awkward to bring a bottle of wine; he thinks it's pretty much mandatory. 

IMO bringing a bottle may send a message that: we don't expect them to have a good-enough wine; we are trying to impress them or embarrass them; or we simply drink too much xD.  This is for wine and cheese at 4PM (they selected the time).  We are all retired.  

I was thinking I'd bring some homemade spiced pecans instead of wine.  It's not a financial burden for us to bring wine, it just seems odd to me.

What do you do?

PS: If it was a couple we knew, we'd be likely to bring a half-opened bottle since most of us are pretty casual.  But these folks seem a bit more formal and we don't really know them.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

We're the relatively new kids on the block.  We've met most of our neighbors and have been to their homes and they have been to our home, always for group get-togethers.  We always bring a bottle of wine and they have likewise brought bottles to our parties.  

A part-time couple has invited just us for wine and cheese.   We have never socialized with them before, neither at our home or at other neighborhood get-togethers.  

This is probably Etiquette 101, but my DH and I disagree on what to bring.  I think it would be awkward to bring a bottle of wine; he thinks it's pretty much mandatory. 

IMO bringing a bottle may send a message that: we don't expect them to have a good-enough wine; we are trying to impress them or embarrass them; or we simply drink too much xD.  This is for wine and cheese at 4PM (they selected the time).  We are all retired.  

I was thinking I'd bring some homemade spiced pecans instead of wine.  It's not a financial burden for us to bring wine, it just seems odd to me.

What do you do?

gulfporter

gulfporter

This is probably Etiquette 101, but my DH and I disagree on what to bring.  I think it would be odd/awkward to bring a bottle of wine; he thinks it's pretty much mandatory. 

I was thinking I'd bring some homemade spiced pecans instead of wine.  It's not a financial burden for us to bring wine, it just 

What do you do?