• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

To add two photographs

We have had a couple of topics before on this subject but most of them are now quite old and the links are no longer operating. Further, life has moved on and perhaps there are more interesting and efficient ways of storing a very large spice collection. 

My spice storage is still the bane of my life. Despite many efforts to inventory it, tidy it up, find a new spot for it, find new containers for it I end up very often abandoning any idea of making a recipe simply because finding the spice might take me longer than making the damn recipe

This was brought to mind this morning because I was forced by circumstances to order spices from a rather expensive source and they arrived like this:

D28D4BFC-857B-4592-8098-C9BE2C28689F.thumb.jpeg.9c7614035f8f1a258afabb3eeb38c619.jpegCFB62F9E-3254-4615-810D-F52B0A89CECE.thumb.jpeg.e1bb65f8bf1f545816de659c5e70161a.jpeg

It occurred to me that this was a whole lot smarter than the normal round jar/bottle. But of course finding such containers would be very challenging and buying all my spices this way would put me into bankruptcy. 

So is there anything new in the way of space storage that you know?  Are you frustrated? Have you come up with any brilliant solutions  that the rest of us have missed?  

Anna N

Anna N

We have had a couple of topics before on this subject but most of them are now quite old and the links are no longer operating. Further life has moved on and perhaps there are more interesting and efficient ways of storing a very large spice collection. 

My spice storage is still the bane of my life. Despite many efforts to inventory it, tidy it up, find a new spot for it, find new containers for it I end up very often abandoning any idea of making a recipe simply because finding the spice might take me longer than making the damn recipe

This was brought to mind this morning because I was forced by circumstances to order spices from a rather expensive source and they arrived like this:

Photo to come. 

It occurred to me that this was a whole lot smarter than the normal round jar/bottle. But of course finding such containers would be very challenging and buying all my spices this way would put me into bankruptcy. 

So is there anything new in the way of space storage that you know?  Are you frustrated? Have you come up with any brilliant solutions is that the rest of us have missed?