• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Raamo

Raamo

words are hard

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It’s just not something I think can be done that well at home. 

While it's taken making the dough days in advance, using a pizza stone in an oven that can get to 550f (and preheating it long enough), making the sauce ourselves, etc.  It's become clear we can make make really good pizza at home that rivals the pizza joints with 700-900f ovens (the main thing you can't easily get at home).

America's test kitchen spent time working out really good pizza crust, MB expanded upon that but didn't change the recipe that much - both were designed for home ovens - a key.    The pizza sauce in MB is a nice improvement over prior sauces that takes better to freeze/thaw in a home kitchen (it uses canned tomatoes - so pre cooked so you don't have cook it again before you bake).  It seems likely that with more time spent this could all be improved further.

But thanks to ATK, MC and MB we don't get pizza outside of our house very often (and never at the main chains like pizza hut, dominoes, papa johns etc), it's just that much better at home.  And we've made it for others who are impressed by it.  While yes pizza is 100% personal preference - making a really good one at home is within reach if you have the right tools.

For me this all started because I hate large (or standard) amounts of cheese on a pizza.   And it's a pain getting just the right amount (which is very little, see pictures I post in Dinner).  The quest for better pizza at home has taken a long time - and maybe with MP will get even better.

Raamo

Raamo

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It’s just not something I think can be done that well at home. 

While it's taken making the dough days in advance, using a pizza stone in an oven that can get to 550f (an preheating it long enough), making the sauce ourselves, etc.  It's become clear we can make make really good pizza at home that rivals the pizza joints with 700-900f ovens (the main thing you can't easily get at home).

America's test kitchen spent time working out really good pizza crust, MB expanded upon that but didn't change the recipe that much - both were designed for home ovens - a key.    The pizza sauce in MB is a nice improvement over prior sauces that takes better to freeze/thaw in a home kitchen (it uses canned tomatoes - so pre cooked so you don't have cook it again before you bake).  It seems likely that with more time spent this could all be improved further.

But thanks to ATK, MC and MB we don't get pizza outside of our house very often (and never at the main chains like pizza hut, dominoes, papa johns etc), it's just that much better at home.  And we've made it for others who are impressed by it.  While yes pizza is 100% personal preference - making a really good one at home is within reach if you have the right tools.

For me this all started because I hate large (or standard) amounts of cheese on a pizza.   And it's a pain getting just the right amount (which is very little, see pictures I post in Dinner).  The quest for better pizza at home has taken a long time - and maybe with MP will get even better.