• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

please consider telling us [ ed.: me ] about your techniques.

its the first day of the Sale, and after many years of study , 'burbs of BOS its

Stop & Shop   O'Donnell point cut. You have to get to the store on the earlier side of the sale as it gets picked over fairly quckly

the sale BTW is maybe 10 days or more

$ 1.57 / lb until St.P's day.

I look the packs over carefully , as some do not have a big gob of fat on the meat, under the label.

I trim off any external fat , but Im not obsessed with making the surface fat free.

Ive found if you are careful in selecting the PointCut , there is little external fat and not too much intra-muscular fat either

the fat that's left after the trim adds flavor .  the flat is more expensive and can end up dry.

I trim the large portions into about 1+ lb sections , then vacuum bag

I always SV , 140 F x 48 H , rapid chill,  then freeze for The Season.

plenty of snow to help out just now.

I reheat the smaller SV bags for a hot meal , and use the Jus that is rendered in the SV bags in the iPot for the potatoes , carrots and cabbage.

this years 6 bags :

about 17 lbs ,  $ 110 regular price , savings $ 78.57  , price to me  $ 31.42.

5aa2a38826d5a_StPCB18.thumb.jpg.079063497e3c9856af9f05588ef4e58e.jpg

commercial CB  ( or possible your own cure / )  really shines w SV.

rotuts

rotuts

its the first day of the Sale, and after many years of study , 'burbs of BOS its

Stop & Shop   O'Donnell point cut. You have to get to the store on the earlier side of the sale as it gets picked over fairly quckly

I look the packs over carefully , as some do not have a big gob of fat on the meat, under the label.

I trim off any external fat , but Im not obsessed with making the surface fat free.

Ive found if you are careful in selecting the PointCut , there is little external fat and not too much intra-muscular fat either

the fat that's left after the trim adds flavor .  the flat is more expensive and can end up dry.

I reheat the smaller SV bags for a hot meal , and use the Jus that is rendered in the SV bags in the iPot for the potatoes , carrots and cabbage.

this years 6 bags :

rotuts

rotuts

that fat adds flavor .  the flat is more expensive and can be end up dry.

this years 6 bags :

rotuts

rotuts

please consider tells us [ ed.: me ] about your techniques.

its the first day of the Sale, and after many years of study , 'burgs of BOS its

that fat adds flavor .  the flat is more expensive and can be dry.

I trim the larger portions into about 1+ lb sections , then vacuum bag

I always SV , 140 F x 48 H , rapid chill then freeze for The Season.

I reheat the smaller SV bags for a hot meal , and use the Jus that is rendered in the iPot for the potatoes , carrots and cabbage.

this years 6 bags :