• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected "cutlet" to "cutlets"

I'm snacking now on the last schnitzel from tonight's dinner.  It was going to be tomorrow's snack, but ... well, I'm not willing to wait.

This was pork, thinly sliced and then rolled even more thinly.  I followed Melissa Clark's instructions from @heidih's link.  I now see what is meant by swirling the pan to get oil rolling over the cutlet.  It works well and easily. I even got some air pockets!

The flavors were great.  I had a few patches where the coating separated and fell off, but not many.  I would have liked a fluffier, crisper, more golden coating.  Panko crumbs might have helped, but I only had bread crumbs.  I think the oil was a bit too hot, because the coating was slightly too brown after the first two cutlets. 

The photo collage shows the finished platter (color is washed out, sorry), an individual schnitzel (color is more true) and the money shot.  The presentation wasn't beautiful - a sauce would have helped - but tonight's circumstances didn't allow that extra step.

What's interesting to me, as I munch the last schnitzel, is how it seems *more* moist and tender as it cools.  No wonder heidih enjoyed sneaking the darned things out in the night!

20180208_220317.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

I'm snacking now on the last schnitzel from tonight's dinner.  It was going to be tomorrow's snack, but ... well, I'm not willing to wait.

This was pork, thinly sliced and then rolled even more thinly.  I followed Melissa Clark's instructions from @heidih's link.  I now see what is meant by swirling the pan to get oil rolling over the cutlet.  It works well and easily. I even got some air pockets!

The flavors were great.  I had a few patches where the coating separated and fell off, but not many.  I would have liked a fluffier, crisper, more golden coating.  Panko crumbs might have helped, but I only had bread crumbs.  I think the oil was a bit too hot, because the coating was slightly too brown after the first two cutlet. 

The photo collage shows the finished platter (color is washed out, sorry), an individual schnitzel (color is more true) and the money shot.  The presentation wasn't beautiful - a sauce would have helped - but tonight's circumstances didn't allow that extra step.

What's interesting to me, as I munch the last schnitzel, is how it seems *more* moist and tender as it cools.  No wonder heidih enjoyed sneaking the darned things out in the night!

20180208_220317.jpg