• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

They are at it again. Pizza Hut are now promoting this for the upcoming Chinese New Year (February 16th sees in the Year of the Dog).

5a7950a59488a_newyearpizza.thumb.jpg.90d3f9c341dc9cf5eebd6ccb56495254.jpg

This monstrosity is shaped like a traditional Chinese coin,  a symbol of prosperity, the main wish expressed in New Year  greetings. It must be all that communism. Most of the text is about money rather than food. They want your money and what they sell is only notionally food!

As far as I can make out, it appears to feature abalone, shrimp and broccoli. The Chinese small print is saying that if you want more details, see the in-restaurant menu. No! I am not going in!

88元 is $14 USD, but has been chosen, not for any economic reason, but because 88 is a very lucky number in Chinese superstition.

liuzhou

liuzhou

They are at it again. Pizza Hut are now promoting this for the upcoming Chinese New Year (February 18th sees in the Year of the Dog).

This monstrosity is shaped like a traditional Chinese coin,  a symbol of prosperity, the main wish expressed in New Year  greetings. It must be all that communism. Most of the text is about money rather than food. They want your money and what they sell is only notionally food!

As far as I can make out, it appears to feature abalone, shrimp and broccoli. The Chinese small print is saying that if you want more details, see the in-restaurant menu. No! I am not going in!

88元 is $14 USD, but has been chosen, not for any economic reason, but because 88 is a very lucky number in Chinese superstition.

liuzhou

liuzhou

They are at it again. Pizza Hut are now promoting this for the upcoming Chinese New Year (February 18th sees in the Year of the Dog).

As far as I can make it appears to feature abalone, shrimp and broccoli. The Chinese small print is saying that if you want more details, see the in-restaurant menu. No! I am not going in!