• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to fix photo

My herb guy at the farmers market has been bringing in some nice watercress - very flavorful compared with the stuff at the grocery store.  Given @Chris Hennes's positive comments in this post just upthread, I went ahead and made the Watercress Butter from Six Seasons p 36. 

No rutabagas in sight so I wasn't able to try the recipe that Chris made.  I think I'll try to sub sweet potatoes for the rutabagas but in the meantime, I decided to follow this suggestion from @David Ross

On 1/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, David Ross said:

Yes I'm already thinking of broiling salmon then with the watercress butter on top and maybe mixing some of it into a pasta to go with the salmon.  I saw your photo and then thought, why didn't I think of watercress butter?

I tossed linguine with some of the watercress butter, a little pasta water and a squeeze of lemon juice.  I seared a few scallops, topped them with melted watercress butter and grated some lemon zest over everything and boom - it's dinner!

1024693118_IMG_1652(1).thumb.jpeg.7bef5ac6f28fd943d7478f45747d3166.jpeg

There are a few cloves of garlic in the watercress butter so it has plenty of flavor to season the pasta.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

My herb guy at the farmers market has been bringing in some nice watercress - very flavorful compared with the stuff at the grocery store.  Given @Chris Hennes's positive comments in this post just upthread, I went ahead and made the Watercress Butter from Six Seasons p 36. 

No rutabagas in sight so I wasn't able to try the recipe that Chris made.  I think I'll try to sub sweet potatoes for the rutabagas but in the meantime, I decided to follow this suggestion from @David Ross

On 1/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, David Ross said:

Yes I'm already thinking of broiling salmon then with the watercress butter on top and maybe mixing some of it into a pasta to go with the salmon.  I saw your photo and then thought, why didn't I think of watercress butter?

I tossed linguine with some of the watercress butter, a little pasta water and a squeeze of lemon juice.  I seared a few scallops, topped them with melted watercress butter and grated some lemon zest over everything and boom - it's dinner!

IMG_1652.thumb.jpeg.649cb009bcc5bf9dfddfbcdfe24c4bac.jpeg

There are a few cloves of garlic in the watercress butter so it has plenty of flavor to season the pasta.