• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

One thing I like is that, here in China, duck is cheap.

This one cost me ¥10.80 ($1.70 USD). A similarly sized decent chicken is between ¥50 and ¥60 ($8-$9.5).

duck.thumb.jpg.7a9c5374ffbeef1f8cfde4af6faebbd1.jpg

The feet and most of the wings had been removed to be sold separately. I jointed it and one breast and the legs are in the freezer for another day. I also have a load of fat in the fridge to render later.

With the carcase, including the head, I made a duck stock which I chilled overnight, then de-fatted. Made stock with the meat from the carcase and the other breast.

Leeks, onions, carrots, mushrooms, chilli and a splash of white rice wine vinegar. Hot and sour duck soup. Served with steamed bread (馒头 mán tóu).

soup.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

One thing I like is that, here in China, duck is cheap.

This one cost me ¥10.80 ($1.70 USD). A similarly sized decent chicken is between ¥50 and ¥60 ($8-$9.5).

The feet and most of the wings had been removed to be sold separately. I jointed it and one breast and the legs are in the freezer for another day. With the carcase, including the head, I made a duck stock which I chilled overnight, then de-fatted. Made soup with the meat from the carcase the other breast.

Leeks, onions, carrots, mushrooms, chilli and a splash of white rice wine vinegar. Hot and sour duck soup. Served with steamed bread (馒头 mán tóu).

soup.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

One thing I like is that here in China duck is cheap.

The feet and most of the wings had been removed to be sold separately. I jointed it and one breast and the legs are in the freezer for another day. With the carcase, including the head, I made a duck stock which I chilled overnight, then de-fatted. Made soup with the meat from the carcase the other breast.

soup.jpg